Gender Equality & Entrepreneurship Fellow
Title: Gender Equality & Entrepreneurship Fellow**
Volunteer Placement Duration: October 4, 2021 – February 18, 2022
Time Commitment: 37.5 hours/week
Location: Tamale, Ghana.
Join the HerStart Innovate the Future team to further enhance the inclusivity of the social entrepreneurship ecosystem in Tanzania, Uganda, and Ghana. Support YCI and local partners in identifying gendered barriers, designing gender responsive solutions and amplifying women’s strengths in each context. This is an opportunity to apply your knowledge and passion for gender equality in a new and innovative way, while also strengthening your CV with practical research, training, and project coordination experience. In the process, learn more about women’s empowerment, climate action and social entrepreneurship – pivotal frameworks that are shaping the future of work and social impact globally.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
· Actively engage in and complete training modules on diverse topics including social entrepreneurship, climate action and gender equality
· Conduct primary and secondary research on gender equality topics
· Support organizational learning and capacity strengthening with local partners
· Design and deliver needs-based trainings, reports and resources related to gender equality and entrepreneurship for partners, staff and fellows
· Collaborate with key stakeholders to research, develop and test innovative gender-responsive solutions
· Ensure training programs meet the needs of youth and integrate a gender lens
· Identify viable opportunities in the local economies for social ventures to pursue
· Mentor participants and create additional learning opportunities for youth who are seeking support outside of the HerStart training sessions
· Help further build out the HerStart Toolkit and Resources Databases
· Collaborate with staff, partners, and fellows in each country to coordinate program logistics and engage in the HerStart community
· Prior knowledge and experience in gender-focused programs
· Experience in facilitating trainings and developing educational resources
· Passion for learning and supporting the knowledge/skill development of others
· Strong communications and project coordination skills with high attention to detail
· Tech-savvy with knowledge of diverse platforms and interest in learning new ones (including Slack, Airtable and Mighty Networks)
· Strong organization, teamwork and time management skills in virtual settings
· Ability to be proactive, flexible and take initiative
· Ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes openness to differing opinions and views
· Must be currently living in Tamale, Ghana and able to commute to the YCI office
· Ability to commit to full 4-month placement
· Professional level English skills (written and verbal)
· Currently enrolled in or graduated from a relevant post-secondary degree or diploma, or have the equivalent work experience
· Demonstrated interest in the fields of international cooperation, gender equality and/or social entrepreneurship
· Flexibility in schedule (able to attend trainings and meetings, sometimes coordinated across different time zones)
· Proficiency in standard software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
· Note: Individuals of all demographics, academic and professional backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply, particularly women.
Benefits of a Fellowship
· Contribute to women’s economic empowerment: Connect and collaborate with young women, communities, and global partners to help grow the social entrepreneurship ecosystem in Ghana, Tanzania and Uganda.
· Amplify your personal and professional growth: Whether you’re a recent grad, mid-career, or experienced professional, you’ll receive unique opportunities to boost your CV and build transferable skills, such as cross-cultural communication, project management, research and more.
· Access high quality training and resources: You’ll receive specialized training and resources from our global partners who are subject matter experts in their fields, including gender equality, social enterprise, monitoring and evaluation and climate action.
· Be part of an international network: You’ll connect with like-minded, passionate Canadians, partner organizations and youth around the globe. Joining this network will include first access to future YCI opportunities, domestically and internationally.