Finance Officer – Ghana | ReliefWeb
In close coordination with the US Embassy and USAID, the goal of the USAID/OTI-funded Littorals Regional Initiative (LRI) is to support US foreign policy priorities to shore up stability and prevent violent extremism in the Littoral region, including Ghana.
Initial objectives include:
- Rapidly delivering effective and relevant programming on the ground through targeted interventions that may be scaled up.
- Informing and improving USG programming by piloting approaches and sharing reporting.
- Providing rapid response capacity, from hiring STTAs to quick response activities, in the event of a crisis or opportunity.
The Finance Officer will be responsible for (a) ensuring that payments requirements are met based on USAID policies and procedures; (b) implement financial procedures in compliance with Creative and USAID policies and procedures; (c) Preparation of payroll and staff reimbursements (d) Timely disbursement for small grants related payments to field offices.
Location note: This position will be based in northern Ghana, with the exact location TBD.
Reporting & Supervision:
This position reports to the Finance Manager.
- Assist in preparation of budgets, monitor, review, and revise as required.
- Coordinate with the Grants Department to reconcile finance record of grants.
- Initiate and follow through on information gathering and documents needed with the Government of Ghana, Headquarters, and relevant ministries on renewal of MOU, tax exemption, banking, leases, and other contracts.
- Monitor compliance of grantees through field visits and financial report review provide training and orientation to new field staff. Bring potential non-compliance issues to the attention of the Finance Manager.
- Oversee cash flow, adherence to Ghanaian tax and labor laws.
- Prepare financial reports for Headquarters prior to submission to Finance Manager.
- Implement procedures and forms for request and issue of funds for program needs.
- Assist Finance Manager in forecasting and request cash transfers from HQ to ensure adequate supply of funds in country.
- Pay authorized bills to contractors, suppliers, and monthly payroll for employees.
- Check petty cash vouchers, receipts, and replenish to established levels upon receipt of replenishment requests.
- Produce segregated finance records at the request of the Finance Manager such as expenses for specific locations or grants.
- Cooperate and assist in audit requirements.
- Assist Finance Manager to produce Monthly Finance Reports according to HO procedures and submit by the mandated deadline.
- Maintain grant financial records.
- Oversee project procurement in accordance with contract and Creative requirements.
- Assist in compiling and reviewing timesheets of the staff so that payroll is processed in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Assist with financial tracking of local sub-contractors and fixed price contracts as needed
Undertake other duties as assigned by supervisor.Qualifications
High School diploma required, Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (finance, accounting, business, etc.) highly desired.
Must have 4 years of general work experience, and 2+ years of specific experience related to the position required.
Experience with USAID program finances and budgeting (preferred) or similar work for other donors/U.S. Government agencies.
- Advanced knowledge of spoken and written English highly desired, medium level required.
- Proficiency in any of the languages spoken in northern Ghana desired.
- Must be willing to work and be based in Northern Ghana.
- Must have existing work authorization for Ghana.
Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.