Evaluation and review of credits, products, businesses, and industries in the Corporate & Institutional and Retail Banking segments; ensuring adherence to FBGL credit principles, policies, and procedures. Ad-hoc assignments and other responsibilities as delegated by Director, Credit Risk Management, and the Chief Risk Officer.
Job Title: Head Credit Evaluation and Review
DIMENSIONS & SCOPE
· Senior credit role with responsibility for the quality of the Bank’s Corporate & Institutional and Retail Banking credit portfolio, in collaboration with the Business Directors.
· Participate in the formulation of credit policies, procedures and standards
· Participate in Credit Committee sittings and maintain interface with Management, Board Sub Committee on Risk, External Auditors and regulators on credit issues
· Maintain good contacts with the business community and deep knowledge of trends and developments in businesses, industries and the economy as a whole.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
· University degree, preferably in numerate discipline (Finance, Social Sciences, Sciences or Engineering) with a minimum of ten (10) years relevant experience. Relevant post-graduate and/or professional qualification is an added advantage.
· High level of knowledge of the Bank’s credit principles & policies. Must possess integrity, initiative, judgement, attention to detail and resourcefulness.
- Integrity, clear thinking, and decision-making ability. Must be able to work under time or competitive pressure to meet deadlines.
- Strong data assessment and analytical skills, especially in the identification, analysis and mitigation of credit risk through appropriate loan structuring, terms & conditions, covenants and collateral/security arrangements.
- Good interpersonal, communication & presentation skills. Must be a team player with evident leadership/supervisory/organizational qualities.
- Computer literacy; proficiency in MS Word, Excel, & PowerPoint
- Sound knowledge of principles and practice of banking and lending acquired through experience and/or professional qualification.
- Sound knowledge of financial & business analysis and lending principles, Bank of Ghana prudential guidelines and other regulations
- Sound knowledge of business strategy, resource management, industry and economic trends in the various sector
KEY RESULT AREAS
· Review of credit applications providing sound financial and business justification for proposals within defined, acceptable risk parameters relative to profitability and recommend appropriate facilities in line with risk evaluation standards.
· Develop strong working partnerships with Business Units and supporting business objectives with full consideration for credit quality and portfolio objectives
· Identify and structure low-risk, high-income transactions; make recommendations that will make business proposals and improve credit turnaround time.
· Effective analyses and recommendations where credit applications require referral to Management Credit Committee (MCC) and/or Board Risk Committee (BRC).
· Conduct Industry Reviews, Credit Policy Reviews, Product Paper Reviews, Risk Appetite Statements, Service Level Agreements, Target Market Studies and other credit policies, manuals and standards to improve credit delivery.
· Monitor and understand credit quality in any counterparty or industry and make recommendations regarding industry trends and implications on our portfolio through well defined and timely stress tests and rapid portfolio reviews.
- Contributes to communication and training efforts to promote understanding of credit risk management throughout the company
- Prepares reports and work papers detailing findings and holds discussions with unit management, senior management and other units or functional areas under review.
- Evaluates existing processes in relation to corporate objectives and industry leading practices. Assess development needs and manage process to achieve desired future state
- Performs follow-up to resolve and validate open issues noted during reviews or by internal/external entities
- Maintain relevant knowledge of key legal, compliance and market-risk issues involved in credit related activities
- To Coordinate and embed Environmental & Social (E&S) risk processes in line with the Bank’s Environmental and Social Management System in our credit approval processes and business operations.
- Other duties as may be assigned from time to time by Director, Credit Risk Management Department and the Chief Risk Officer
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
· Process: Turn Around Time, Quality of Credit Evaluation and Processing Accuracy
· People: Teamwork, Communication, Ethics and Professionalism
· Customer Franchise: Customer (internal and external) Satisfaction
· Financial: Efficiency, Measurement, Growth and Performance of Loan Portfolio