The Regional Office for RAF is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities. RAF also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. RAF develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
Job Title: Field Programme Associate
The Field Programme Associate plays a lead role in the coordination of field programme/project support services. He/she performs a broad range of programme, planning and budgeting activities requiring in-depth analysis and interpretation of relevant policies, procedures and practices. The incumbent provides procedural guidance to managers and staff in the Office.
The Field Programme Associate reports to the Programme Planning and Budget Officer.
The Field Programme Associate maintains a wide range of contacts with managers, staff and stakeholders inside and outside the Organization. The incumbent collaborates closely with colleagues in the Regional, Subregional and Country offices and relevant headquarters departments, ensuring the quality and consistency of programme and project support services.
- Ensure effective operational support to the FAO field programmes and projects executed in the Office; ensure consistency with the Organization’s operational requirements and the FAO’s rules and regulations;
- Participate in the identification, formulation and preparation of programme, project and workplan proposals in line with the new Project Cycle Guide; participate in the preparation of draft project documents; ensure high quality and consistency;
- Ensure that the necessary financial and human resources are in place and that the appropriate goods and services are procured for the effective functioning of projects, in collaboration with others on the project team;
- Coordinate the monitoring and review of project implementation to ensure that all operational activities are carried out in line with the work plan and the project document; coordinate the review of inputs, expenditures and time frames; identify inconsistencies and delays and, when necessary, propose corrective measures to overcome operational constraints;
- Accompany field visits to project sites and/or accompany project managers and/or experts in their meetings with donors and government officials;
- Coordinate the collection, maintenance, distribution and consolidation of technical and operational data. ensuring that all project-related data and documentation is up-to-date in the Field Programme Management Information System (FPMIS): analyse and summarize data from various sources, including FAO corporate systems, draft periodic or ad hoc management reports, verify data, answer queries and obtain additional information on transactions and operational matters;
- Prepare and finalize correspondence of operational nature regarding programme / project matters; initiate correspondence to verify data, answer queries, and obtain additional information on transactions and operational matters, as required.
- Ensure appropriate recording and administrative processing of requests and inputs for FAO’s assistance received by Government, donors or other organizations.
- Review current processes and make recommendations to improve programme/projects’ operational and administrative procedures.
- Perform other duties as required.