The Regional Office for Africa, RAF, is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning, and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the Region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities.
The Regional Office for Africa is supporting all countries in the region to promote sustainable food value chains() and to make agriculture, forestry, and fisheries more productive and sustainable This assignment refers to the Ex-Ante Carbon-balance Tool (EX-ACT) work coordinated by the RAF Policy Unit. This work is coordinated by the RAF Policy Unit
Job Title: EX-ACT Sustainable Value Chain Analysis Specialist
The EX-ACT Sustainable Value Chain Analysis Specialist will report to the EX-ACT Value Chain Policy Officer under the oversight of to the RAF Senior Policy Officer.
EX-ACT Value Chain is a tool derived from the EX-Ante Carbon-balance Tool. The EX-ACT Value Chain Specialist will help with designing performant and sustainable value chains. The methodology provides both a quantified socio-economic appraisal of the value chain at a micro and a macro level (by agent, group and for the whole chain) and an environmental carbon-balance appraisal of the value chain impact, in terms of climate mitigation, adaptation and value chain resilience.
Tasks And Responsibilities
- Coordinate national consultants and interns working in the Technical Cooperation Programme (TCP) / FAO Subregional Office for West Africa (SFW) on rice, cocoa, cashew value chains policy studies;
- Conduct EX-ACT value chain based prospective modeling on a series of value chains;
- Review and finalize drafts of national and regional policy reviews on the following value chains: rice; maize cocoa; cashew; etc;
- Co-organize and animate value chain technical policy simulation meetings and workshops at the national level;
- Draft for FAO publications;
- Participate in multidisciplinary project/work teams;
- Collaborate in the development of EX-ACT training materials and the organization of EX-ACT workshops/seminars; etc;
- Participate in the organization, facilitation and follow-up of meetings, consultations and conferences, the development/production of required materials and the provision of information and assistance to partners.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in agriculture economics, development studies, natural resources, agriculture or a related field;
- 3 years of relevant experience in international cooperation in the field of rural economy, natural resources management, climate change adaptation and mitigation, and sustainable food systems;
- Working knowledge of English and French.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Technical/Functional Skills [optional]
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work;
- Extent and relevance of experience in using the EX-ACT tool;
- Extent and relevance of experience in collecting and analyzing technical information and data on the value chain;
- Extent and relevance of experience in organizing and facilitating local, national, and international meetings and workshops.
Closing Date : 14 May, 2020