Fairtrade Africa (FTA) is the umbrella network organization representing Fairtrade certified producers and workers in Africa. It has four (4) regional networks – Eastern Africa; Southern Africa; West Africa; and Middle East and North Africa. Established in 2005, FTA aims to effectively represent producers and workers within the International Fairtrade System and provide services to them that contribute to the improvement of their livelihoods. The FTA Board directs policy and strategic development of the organization.
FTA Secretariat is located in Nairobi where the operations are in the hands of the FTA Senior Leadership Team (FTA-SLT). In enabling the members to have a strong voice in the governance, strategy and the overall direction of the Fairtrade movement in Africa, the FTA-SLT has the responsibility for directing and managing all FTA resources including employees. The FTA-SLT has the overall responsibility of strategy development and operational implementation. The Finance and Administration Director (FAD) is expected to be an active member of this team.
Job Title: Grants Manager
FAIRTRADE AFRICA PURPOSE
To improve the socio-economic conditions of African producers through increased access to better trading conditions.
• TEAM: Fairtrade-Mondelez project, Fairtrade Africa – West Africa Network (FTA-WAN)
• LOCATION: Accra
• REPORTING LINES: Post holder reports to: Project Manager
• Staff reporting to this post:
ABOUT THE FAIRTRADE – MONDELEZ PROJECT
• Fairtrade and Cadbury have been working together in Ghana since 2009 under the Cadbury Cocoa Partnership (CCP). In 2012, CCP was continued by Mondel?z international after it was created from Kraft Foods but changed the name of the sustainability programme to Cocoa Life. The Cocoa Life programme focuses on 3 areas: Sustainable Cocoa Farming Businesses, Empowered Cocoa Communities and Conserved and Restored Forests. In 2016, the Cocoa Life – Fairtrade partnership was created, moving “beyond sourcing,” based on partnership principles. In 2020, the Climate Change and Organisational Strengthening Programme (CCOSP) was launched, with the aim to support the cocoa farmers in the Mondel?z Ghana Cocoa Life programme to become more resilient against changing climate and to ensure ongoing viability of the Cocoa Life unions.
• With the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the programme was awarded additional funding by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office (FCDO) as part of the Vulnerable Supply Chain Facility, and hence has expanded to include two additional aims – to maintain the incomes of farmers through the pandemic, and create awareness on safe practices. This will be achieved through the launch of a flexible grant facility to provide start-up capital on climate-smart new business models, and help farmers maintain their cocoa harvest through the 20-21 season. The programme will also launch a communications strategy for each of the unions to ensure their members and key cocoa supply chain actors are enacting safe COVID practices.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
• The Grants Manager will be responsible for co-designing and implementing the grant strategy for the COVID-19 Vulnerable Supply Chains Facility administered by Fairtrade as part of the Fairtrade – Mondelez Project. The Grants Manager will co-design the grant strategy with the Project’s technical advisers, farmer unions, Mondelez International and other key supply chains actors; develop the necessary grant management tools, processes and governance; work with union leaders to support the development of grant applications; support the submission, review and evaluation of grants by the Grants Panel; manage the award, approval and disbursement of grants; monitor grant use through conducting site visits and quarterly progress reporting and (if necessary) grants close out. The Grants Manager will be responsible for delivering all operations/administration, finance, implementation, monitoring and evaluation elements of the COVID-19 Vulnerable Supply Chains Facility in Ghana. This includes ensuring compliance with all relevant policies and procedures and principles under the partnership.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREA
• Co-design and feed into the creation of the grant management strategy, including project managing the delivery of the strategy, conducting field visits as necessary, coordinating inputs from relevant stakeholders and ensuring best practice management for the grant facility
• Assist the Project Manager in developing criteria for assessing the strengths of the cocoa nine unions to create a tailored grant management process for three different strength levels of unions as per the grants strategy
• Under the advice of the Senior Grants advisor, lead on the design and delivery of all grant management tools and processes, including application design, due diligence and reporting requirements that meet the expectations of the Project’s clients and according to the Grant strategy.
• Conduct training with potential grantees to ensure they are familiar with the processes and ready to submit applications
• Work closely with the Fairtrade finance teams to ensure the correct financial processes are in place for the facility
• In liaison with the key project partners, producer organisations, project team and the Head of Region, lead in overall planning, budgeting and implementation of the grant facility
• Conduct all necessary due diligence and vetting purposes of the grantees
• Follow up on due diligence review for the subgrantees and agree on recommendations and timelines
• Coordinate and provide initial assessment of all received grant applications, creating a shortlist of applications that meet the designed criteria for the grants facility
• Coordinate the meeting of the Grants Steering Committee, including preparing necessary materials and reporting
• Provide technical, administrative and logistical support to the project team for efficient and effective implementation.
• Conduct site visits and support the unions and project team with the information and processes required for activity/project implementation
• Prepare annual and quarterly work plans in line with the project and partnership objectives for approval
• Develop, submit and update field activity implementation guidelines based on learnings from implementation and producer needs
Reporting, Communication, Monitoring and Evaluation
• Conduct due diligence and reporting processes as per the grant strategy and tools, identifying areas of weakness and creating correction and training plans for the applicants to upskill
• Lead in preparing quarterly reports on progress of grant use and submit to the Project Manager for approval and submission to key project partners
• Ensure Sub-Grantees are aware of the progress on donor specific financial rules and regulations and any implications for project management by providing monthly updates and advice
• Facilitate joint planning and review meetings with producer organisations and ensure timely gathering and distribution of all relevant information to producer organisations
• Participate in key partners and project related meeting in-country and outside, where necessary including in-country Proof of Performance (POP) meetings
• In liaison with MEL Officer, project team and key project partners, lead in effective monitoring of progress of project implementation, adopt appropriate tools and methodology to collect and analyse required data and apply agree templates to report outcome
• Compile quarterly summary reports of activities in liaison with MEL Officer and project team using agreed/required Fairtrade Africa and project specific templates
• Undertake risk mapping and report on same
• Support union leaders to prepare plans and budgets for the grant activities
• Effectively track the facility’s expenses, accounting and reporting
• Prepare monthly and quarterly budget and financial reports on grants component of the project implementation/performance for approval and submission
• Support provide logistical support to the organisation for events and workshops
• Represent the FTA and the Project at meetings, events/forums, and conferences in the country in relation to the Project and its key topics
• Lead and Coordinate Grant Steering Committee Formation and Application Development, including the preparation of all necessary materials and ensuring all stakeholders are available and up to date
• Application Review Process-Manages the application review process by organizing all Grant Applications in a database and ensures all application files are saved electronically in individual folders, notifies grant applicants of awards and feedback from the steering committee, and prepares and executes grant agreements
• Works with the unions and the project F&A Officer to ensure that all goods and services are procured following FDCO and Fairtrade’s procurement guidelines
• Works with the FTA and FTF legal teams to develop an appropriate legal grant agreement template
• Support and Oversee unions implementation of grant funded interventions, conduct Grant Management supervision visits to the field and support the MEL and communications team with obtaining key data, case studies and results
• Coordinate reporting from the grantees on the progress of the grant, ensuring high quality reporting and managing risks accordingly
• Prepare and submit final report of technical completion and ensures closure of the grant facility
Qualification Required & Experience
• At least 5 years working experience in non-government not for profit organization at field and management level in the fields of Grant Management, Project Management, Agriculture, Climate Change, Administration and development work, in general
• Substantial experience working on a relevant grant-making project in agricultural settings with smallholder farmers and farmer unions in Ghana in establishing processes, administering funds and reporting to stakeholders. It is desirable for the candidate to have experience in the cocoa sector.
• High level of relationship and communication management skills to build relationships with producer organisations, key partners and stakeholders • Demonstrable experience in Monitoring and Evaluation and coordinating projects
• Excellent level knowledge of Financial and accounting systems.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Ability to prioritize and plan work activities and use time efficiently.
• Demonstrated skills in project planning, implementation and budgeting
• Ability to work independently, manage competing priorities, meet tight deadlines and handle multiple tasks
• University Degree with focus on Agricultural studies or Economics, Rural Development Studies, Project Management or other relevant field
How To Apply For The Job
To apply for this position please download recruitment application form on our website www.fairtradeafrica.net (CVs will not be accepted). Completed applications should be e-mailed:
All applicants should state how they meet essential requirements of the job in the application form, and should include email address and telephone contact details in their applications. Qualified applicants will be subjected to a background check as a condition of employment.
If you have any queries, please e-mail [email protected] or call +233 244973609 and ask to speak to a member of the recruitment team.