Lead on the human resources and administration functions of EAA, ensuring we are transparent, accountable, and able to mitigate risks as it moves forward
Job Title: HR and Administrative Associate
Position based in Accra, West Africa
Ethical Apparel Africa (EAA) is a sourcing company that provides international apparel brands with ethical, cost competitive and quality manufacturing solutions in West Africa. Our vision is to
demonstrate that ethical manufacturing can and should be done at scale, not just associated with luxury or expensive products. Based in Ghana and Benin, EAA has a dynamic team
bringing decades of experience from around the world in product development, quality assurance, account management, social impact, operations and finance.
EAA is working to unlock the tremendous potential of the West Africa apparel industry, supporting African-owned factories to grow exports to the US, UK, and Europe. EAA focuses on
developing factories in a lean, sustainable, and ethical way that sets the standard for garment manufacturing in a West African context. We work closely with government and development agencies to develop an ecosystem for industrial growth — including the launch of a Center of
Excellence for local skill development and efforts to catalyze investment in an integrated cotton value chain. By 2023 we aim to create 2,500 worthwhile jobs in the apparel sector in West Africa. This is an exciting time to join EAA.
We have a great opportunity for a committed and talented person willing to contribute to build a new and ethical industry to join us as HR and Administration Associate in Accra. They would lead on the human resources and administration functions of EAA, ensuring we are transparent, accountable, and able to mitigate risks as it moves forward. The role will involve maintaining oversight of human resource strategy and policy management, local staff recruitment and global staff induction, compliance and risks management as well as administration. They are committed and talented individuals who will be part of our Management. The HR Associate would report to the HR and Social Impact Director based in France with a dotted line to the Operations and Finance Director based in Accra.
They will have the following responsibilities:
Recruitment and Onboarding
● Take part in the recruitment of local talents for all departments (accounts/brands partnership, technical, operations and finance teams) by exploring new recruitment channels and jobs advertising, screening initial applications and scheduling interviews.
● Lead the logistics and administration process related to new team members onboarding for expatriates (flight booking, airport pick up, initial and then permanent accommodation facilitation, bank account opening etc)
● Lead the onboarding of new team members including orientation to Accra and to team systems for both Local and Expatriate team members.
● Lead all administrative procedures related to immigration for expatriates (applications for visas, work permit, non-citizen cards) and keep a rigorous system to anticipate needs and remain compliant at all times.
● Lead the relationship with local Health Insurance providers, renew contracts and support the team in their claims if needed.
● Pro-actively lead office administrative processes and upkeep (service of H&S and fire safety equipment, procurement of office utilities and stationery, maintenance of internet connexion, electricity, water, ACs etc.).
● Develop the HR and Operations budget accordingly and ensure that the same is adequately provided for in annual budgetary projections.
● Oversee the personal in charge of cleaning and security and flag any issue or needs to the HR Director.
Human Resource Policy Management
● Update HR policies, SOPs and systems to the highest standards and ensure their implementation in a fair, consistent and transparent manner to support the achievement of EAA’s goals.
● Ensure compliance to HR policies and procedures and support their dissemination.
● Participate in discussions about structure and organisational development and change that ensure continuous support and harmony within the team
Compliance and HR Risks Management
● Counsel employees on their terms and conditions of service, problems and grievances; discuss staff issues with the HR Director (e.g. disciplinary, grievance) in line with the HR policy and with relevant legal provisions to minimise all associated risks
● Following the HR Director’s guidance, implement action points and follow up the implementation of audit actions points if any.
Qualifications and Attributes
● Degree in Human Resources Management from a reputable institution
● Minimum 5 years of professional experience in a HR position
● Knowledge of HR and Administration procedures and systems gained from working experience
● Knowledge and understanding of HR issues related to safeguarding, gender, equality and diversity
● Outstanding communication and leadership skills with ability to motivate and inspire teams to achieve superior standards in all aspects of human resource management.
● Demonstrated experience using sound judgment in resolving problems
● Proven ability to establish priorities, plan, organise, coordinate and monitor own work plan
● Ability to think critically, find solutions, work hard, learn and progress
● Ability to work independently on self-directed projects with an entrepreneurial attitude
● Passion for working in an enterprise with a social mission
● Evidence of the following characteristics: proactive, self aware; resilient and adaptable; persistent and resourceful; able to work under pressure and respect deadlines, apt at
both strengthening relationships and resolving problems, poised, active listener; fun to work with; full of integrity; ability to multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced environment
● Salary level dependent on candidate experience and profile
● Health Insurance
● SSNIT contributions
● 25 days of annual leave in addition to sick leave and Ghana national holidays
● Professional development initiatives
● Opportunity to join a key department of an award-winning, dynamic, and mission driven organization that welcomes strategic input from all members
How to apply
● Starting Date asap
● Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
● Only completed applications with accurate reference will be considered and only the most qualified candidates shortlisted for interview
For more information: www.ethicalapparelafrica.com
How To Apply
Please send a resume and a specific cover letter to [email protected] with the reference in the subject line “HR ASSOC 20”. Your cover letter should specify how you meet the qualifications, skills and experience requirements for this role and why you are interested in joining us.