Reports to: Jacobs Foundation, Program Lead
Based in: Ghana (with 10% international travel)
Salary: Equivalent to 75,000-80,000 CHF per annum
Duration: 7 Months (June – December 2020) with a view to extend
Headquartered in Zurich, Switzerland, the Jacobs Foundation (JF) is one of the world’s leading foundations in the field of child and youth development. Established by entrepreneur Klaus J. Jacobs and his family in 1989, it’s current endowment is valued at approximately CHF 7 billion. As an internationally active organization, JF commits on average an annual budget of CHF 45 million to support research projects and scientific institutions, as well as systems change interventions in the field of learning.
Education Partnerships Group (EPG) is an international not-for-profit consultancy, working closely with Ministry of Education (MoE) in Ghana to provide policy advice, analytic and technical services, and guidance on program financing, design, implementation and evaluation to national and sub-national governments. To achieve its goals, EPG draws on its education reform experience with governments in other countries, and global evidence.
Job Title: Senior Relationship and Program Manager
Jacobs Foundation and EPG are looking to hire a Senior Relationship and Program Manager based in Ghana on an initial 7-month renewable contract, with a view to becoming the Jacobs Foundation’s country director, running a small team, as work scales up over that next years. In the short term, Jacobs is seeking to undertake a stakeholder mapping of the education sector in Ghana and develop a strategy to determine the Foundation’s role in the country. This is expected to take 40% of his/her time. The remaining 60% will be spent working with the Education Partnerships Group (EPG) on projects supported by Jacobs Foundation funding in the country.
This is a full-time position, reporting to Program Lead at the Jacobs Foundation and with dotted line to a Senior Program Manager at EPG – for EPG related work. The role would be based in Ghana and would include 10% international travel.
The selected candidate will:
- Lead a stakeholder mapping exercise in line with Jacobs Foundation areas of interest.
- Work with the Jacobs Foundation team to develop a country strategy for Ghana, in line with Jacobs Foundation’s organizational strategy, to catalyse and manage multi- stakeholder partnerships aimed at improving quality education in Ghana with a focus on pursuing change of policy and practice.
- Identify and establish key partnerships for Jacobs long term success in Ghana.
- Keep abreast of the latest research, news and trends in Ghanaian education, developments in the country and to share this information with relevant stakeholders.
- Work with, and under the direction of, EPG on the design and development of key policy reforms including on
the role of the non-state sector
- Oversee the development and management of trusting relationships with Government officials in order to ensure a collaborative approach to program design.
In the longer term, the role may involve building and managing a small country team, once the Jacobs Foundation strategy for Ghana is agreed, it would involve working closely with partners to design programs that have a robust evidence base and are focused on improving the quality of educational services in Ghana in line with Jacobs Foundation overarching strategy.
Skills and attributes for success
To qualify for the role you must have:
- Significant professional experience in international development
- Advanced university degree (ideally in Education, International Relations, Social Sciences, Politics or MBA)
- Experience designing and delivering on major organisational strategies
- Experience and in-depth knowledge in the field of education
- Excellent relationship management skills, and experience with managing multi- stakeholders partnerships with private and public partners
- A strong track record in complex, end to end, project management, particularly in low- or middle-income countries
- Excellent written and oral communication, as well as negotiation skills in English
- Experience in analysing and interpreting data, including familiarity with research and evaluation methodologies
- Independent and result-oriented workstyle as well as being a critical thinker
- Experience in leading and managing small and agile teams
Ideally, you’ll also have:
- Previous professional experience in Ghana
- Experience in advocacy and engagement with government
- Experience in research and evaluation design and delivery
- Experience of work in grant management
Jacobs Foundation offers
- A challenging, diverse and supportive working environment
- Modern employment conditions in an international, dynamic and entrepreneurial environment
- Opportunity to play a key role in the development and execution of the Jacobs Foundation ambitious 2021 to 2030 strategy
- An exciting area of work at the intersection of social impact, impact investment and professional financial management.
How To Apply
Please apply with cover letter and CV to Justin Elder at [email protected]