ECCD Policy Design Team leader, Ghana
Review of Ghana National Early Childhood Care and Development Policy
Overall, the contracting institution will be tasked to take stock of all frameworks and policies in the ECD space, particularly, the Nurturing Care and ECE Policy Frameworks; provide technical assistance and coordinate the steps
with guidance from the MoGCSP and UNICEF to facilitate the policy revision, together with other accompanying documents mentioned within 10 months.
Key tasks are as follows:
Development of roadmap for draft ECD Policy Framework Outline
- Develop a roadmap for the ECCD policy framework revision process, facilitate to accelerate the process for the development/revision of ECCD policy framework in discussion with MoGCSP and other line Ministries as needed;
- Provide technical inputs and consolidate inputs from the consultation into the policy document and implementation plan;
- Synthesize the key inputs from Stakeholders/action area groups, identify policy gaps referencing other sector Ministries policies/frameworks and make recommendations in addition to the focus areas established for the ECCD policy development;
Facilitation of Policy Development Process (workshops and consultations)
- Provide technical support to and facilitate stakeholder consultations through thematic areas and workshops (established from tasks 1 – either by sector; thematic/action areas; life-cycle approach, age groupings) for the development of the ECCD goals; objectives, strategies, activities (this can be agreed amongst stakeholders during the initial process guided by the findings/recommendations and in consultation with sectors);
- Consolidate technical inputs from UNICEF (Education, WASH, Social Protection; Child Protection; Health/Nutrition) from MoGCSP, and other stakeholders from available materials such as the ‘Nurturing Care, Early Childhood Education Frameworks’, laws, national plans and other documents that influence ECD service provisions, and to support Technical Teams during workshops to align with the life- cycle approach (according to ages ranging: 0-3; 4-5; 6-8) and to accomplishing tasks;
Document ECD development process;
- Complete the technical notes to inform future sector planning and programming in alignment with the ECCD policy, based on the Ghana experience;
- Coordinate with the MoGCSP for wider consultations and partnerships during the development process and through workshops to reflect on process and share/document results from capacity building efforts; to enable other countries to learn from results; Reviewing/developing the ECCD Policy Framework Draft technical notes from information gathered/inputs into the ECCD Policy development templates through the engagement of key stakeholders by MoGCSP with technical support from UNICEF;
- Finalise ECCD Policy Framework in collaboration with MoGCSP, UNICEF, and stakeholders;
- Coordinate, provide technical direction and consolidate inputs from the development of costed implementation plan; ECD guidelines, ensuring its alignment with the different sector plans (approach to the budgeting/costing should be agreed by all TWGs – eg. Costed plan may reflect different sector plans and or TWG may establish harmonized activities for the ECD costing);
- Develop/finalize the ECCD guideline and M&E and Learning Framework respectively (the ECD policy guidelines with established roles/responsibilities of different institutions at national/decentralized levels including service providers to serve as an accountability framework to recognise objectives and accountability relationships) for effective coordination and system strengthening to improve children’s development.
The Team Leader will coordinate the technical team and ensure the design of the ECCD policy, the management of the development process, the quality assurance and the delivery of the expected products in close collaboration with the other members of the team.
She/He shall ensure the policy development process facilitates and translates to transfer of knowledge and skills to the national members of the team including the NECC Secretariat.
She/He should have the following profile:
- Advanced university degree in the social sciences (early childhood development, child protection, public health), research and other relevant fields or another relevant field.
- More than 10 years of experience in designing policies; programmes; and must have completed at least three high quality ECD/E policies and programme in that period (a copy of an ECD/E policy; programmes designed, which the Team Leader has been a primary author of, will need to be submitted a part of the application);
- Have an excellent understanding of ECD issues; policies/frameworks and evidence that supports including the Nurturing Care Framework and on equity, human rights and gender;
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills in French and English as well as skills in facilitation of participatory processes;
- Must be familiar with community engagement and child protection programming and the life-cycle approach;
- Good work experience in rural communities of West Africa;
- Good IT Skills including a good knowledge of MS Word, Power Point and Excel;
- Good knowledge of UNICEF approaches;
- Good knowledge of results-based programme management.