Deputy Rector at Ghana Institute of Journalism – Jobs in Ghana
Are you an employer looking to recruit qualified candidates? Post Premium Jobs Today.
We have the Largest Job Seeker Visits!! Find Out Here
The Ghana Institute of Journalism is a public university that provides specialised education in journalism and cornmunication studies. GIJ is the first school of journalism established in Sub-Saharan Africa and has focused on journalism and communication education tor 60 years. GIJ’s accredited
bachelor’s and master’s degree programmes seek to prepare professionals with high joumalistic standards and ethical communication practices to support Ghana’s growing democracy and development, Over the years, GIJ has churned out many of the country’s leading journalists and communication
GIJ seeks to employ qualified and dynamic persons in the key administrative positions of Deputy Rector and Registrar.
- Assisting the Rector in the performance of his functions and other functions related to academic affairs.
- Coordinating the day-to-day control and administration of academic affairs.
- Coordinating all academic activities at local, national and International levels that contribute to the Institute’s strategic academic goals.
- Overseeing the academic activities of the faculties. as well as other independent academic units, including both the appointment of academic staff and the oversight of those aspects of the Institute’s quality assurance systems.
- Representing the Rector as and when necessary.
- Chairing relevant committees.
- Overseeing development of proposals and other efforts to secure grants/funding.
- Other duties as may be assigned/delegated by the Rector.
- Advertisement: Scroll down to keep reading
- The Deputy Rector is the deputy chief executive officer of the Institute.
- He/She assists the Rector in providing academic and administrative leadership for the Institute.
- He/She assists the Rector in providing leadership in achieving the strategic objectives. as well as the mission of the Institute to promote academic and professional excellent.
- He/She assists the Rector with management ot GIJ’s human resources.
Qualifications Required and Experience:
- The Applicant:
- Must be a holder of a post4Jraduate qualification in a communication-related field: and a PhD in an appropriate field. (A professorial rank would be
- Must have at least 5 years’ experience at a senior level in effective academic management, leadership and teamwork in higher education.
- Must be able to serve a full four (4)-year term of office before attaining the compulsory retiring age of sixty (60).
- Eligible applicants must demonstrate:
- Understanding of best national and international higher education practice. particularly in the areas of teaching, research and research funding.
- Evidence of experience and success in securing grants/funding.
- Capacity to lead with a clear vision, communicate the Institute’s mission and current objectives, and inspire trust through an open and consultative style.
- Capacity to lead sizable groups of academics and professionals to strive for excellence.
- Considerable experience in academic programme development and review, as well as quality assurance in teaching and learning.
- Vision and commitment to promoting a student-centred undergraduate experience, graduate education and training, and excellence in research.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and people management skills.
- Energy, persistence and enthusiasrn for initiating and starting new plans, as well as keeping them going.
- Ability to use new technologies to enhance the quality of the processes in higher education.
- High-level strategic planning and development skills.
Interested individuals from both within and outside GIJ should submit a letter of application accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae, copies of relevant academic and professional credentials.
Applicants should forward references from three referees. Referees should assess applicants against the eligibility criteria and job description listed above.
Applications must be hand-delivered in a sealed envelope to the Registry of the Institute or submitted using a registered postal mail to reach the address
The Chairperson, Search Committee
C/o Office of the Ag Registrar
Ghana Institute of Journalism
P. O. Box GP 667
Applications can also be submitted electronically to the following email address:
The deadline for submission of applications is 27th September, 2019.