Country Director – Ghana
Sightsavers is looking for a dynamic and experienced Country Director for our programmes in Ghana. This exciting new role will take responsibility for developing and leading Sightsavers’ operations within Ghana.
Salary: Local terms and conditions apply
Location: Sightsavers Country Office, Accra, Ghana,
Contract: Two Year Fixed Term Contract – Extendable
Hours: This is a full-time role with some flexibility around hours worked
Sightsavers has worked in Ghana since the 1950s. In June 2018, Ghana was confirmed as the first country in sub-Saharan Africa to eliminate trachoma due to the efforts of the ministry of health and partners including Sightsavers. Now we are working to eliminate river blindness and lymphatic filariasis too. We tackle these diseases through mass drug administration (MDA), in which medication is given to large sections of the population to prevent the spread of the diseases. This role is an ideal opportunity to build on our success and drive our work in Ghana around eye health, disability rights and changing lives – making the world more inclusive.
About the role
The Country Director will help us ensure the successful delivery of programme activities, achieving the expected outcomes in line with Sightsavers’ strategic plan and national development goals. Key accountabilities will include:
- Demonstrating good governance within programme delivery and financial management, ensuring that all systems and controls are in place and followed to allow accurate reporting, cost effectiveness.
- Enforcing compliance to meet funding/donor requirements to retain and develop grant and partner relationships
- Developing strong relationships with government agencies, donors, international agencies, media and communities to raise the profile of Sightsavers, with the ability to advocate and influence at senior levels.
- Building an effective country team focused on delivery; recruiting high calibre individuals and supporting them with focused development plans to ensure successful delivery of programme objectives.
- Working collaboratively with internal departments globally to contribute to organisation success; review outputs and share learning, identify new opportunities, and make recommendations based on changes in the local environment.
- Providing support to networks both inside and outside the organisation
We are looking for a consistent, proven, and effective leader. To succeed in this rewarding role, you will need:
- A post graduate qualification in a relevant subject
- Experience and knowledge of context and actors in the Health, Education and Social Inclusion sectors
- Previous experience as a Country Director for an INGO would be highly desirable
- Extensive working experience in an INGO/ NGO environment in a leadership position
- Substantial and proven team management experience
- Knowledge of project management, budget development and monitoring, and resource management.
- Knowledge of advocacy, research, impact assessment, partnership development and resource mobilisation
This is an involved role, please see the full job description for further details
As an equal opportunity employer, we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Sightsavers is a Disability Confident Leader and qualified people living with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply.
Sightsavers offers a competitive salary and benefits together with a pleasant and inclusive work environment with talented and dedicated colleagues. Salary and benefits will be shared with candidates in advance of interviews.
How to apply
To apply for this exciting new opportunity, please complete an application via our recruitment portal. We are particularly interested in learning of your motivations for applying.
The evaluation process will be in three stages:
First stage remote interviews will take place from 5 – 8 July 2022. We anticipate that second stage interviews will take place w/c 11 July 2022 and the final stage w/c 1 August 2022. The process will include a presentation at interview.
Please note that only applicants eligible to live and work in Ghana will be considered for this position.
Closing Date: 17 June, 2022