Country Director, Ghana | ReliefWeb
Right To Play is a global organization committed to improving the lives of children and youth affected by conflict, disease and poverty. Established in 2000, Right To Play has pioneered a unique play-based approach to learning and development which focuses on quality education, life skills, health, gender equality, child protection and building peaceful communities. With programming in 18 countries, Right To Play transforms the lives of more than one million children each week, both inside and outside of the classroom. In addition to our work with children, Right To Play advocates with parents, local communities, and governments to advance the fundamental rights of all children.
Right To Play is headquartered in Toronto, Canada and has operations in North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. Our programs are facilitated by more than 550 international staff and 15,800 local volunteer Coaches.
The Africa Regional Office located in Kampala, Uganda, supports 8 country offices including; Burundi, Ethiopia, Ghana, Mali, Mozambique, Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania.
The Ghana Country Office is currently searching for a qualified and self-driven candidate to lead a team of professionals in Ghana as Country Director and be part of the Global Leadership Team at Right To Play.
The Country Director reports directly to the Vice President Africa Programs, providing high level oversight, strategic guidance and technical support to the Country Office. The ultimate goal of the position is to manage and grow the organization’s programming, to increase the quality, efficiency and long term impact of the program; and to promote and advocate for sustained high level engagement of government and civil society.
Job Responsibility #1: Communication and Representation (25% of Time):
· Represents RTP in strategic meetings, conferences, forums and other public events and contributes towards consolidating and raising the profile of RTP.
· Develops and strengthens relationships with local organisations and networks and establishes national strategic relations and alliances with partners and civil society.
· Represents the organization in local media, promotes knowledge of RTP programs, mandates and values amongst all stakeholders, potential partners and general public.
· Articulates concepts of Sport for Development (S4D) with confidence and authority.
· Facilitates donor visits, donor meetings, round table discussions and evaluations as necessary.
· Serves as the main local contact for all external stakeholders; develops and maintains links with relevant senior country representatives in donors, UN bodies, intergovernmental bodies, and other international NGOs.
· Promotes RTP organizational identity and capacity to all stakeholders and partners and ensures RTP remains relevant to the changing needs of disadvantaged people in the country.
· Ensures strong working relationships and collaborations with current and new partner organizations through regular correspondence, engagement, reporting and meetings.
· Supports preparation and hosting of strategic donor and RTP HQ visits and workshops.
· Ensures that Right To Play regularly has its local registration as an INGO renewed and updated to changes in local policies.
Job Responsibility #2: Donor Stewardship and Fundraising (20% of Time):
· Assesses potential partners and partnerships; secures and stewards local funding opportunities and builds the relationships on the grounds that are needed to support donor cultivation.
· Keeps abreast of the trends within the donor environment in country and internationally.
· Be aware of the donor conditionality and monitor adherence to the same.
· Leads proposal development for prioritized funding opportunities, facilitates participation by key team members to produce winning submissions.
· Leads the development of proposals for expansion of new programs and the continuation of existing ones through coordinated efforts with RTP Program Office team, HQ Global Program Partnerships and National Offices.
· Represents RTP to current or potential donors to secure and sustain funding, including government/institutional donors, corporate sector and foundations.
Job Responsibility #3: Program strategy Development and Implementation (15% of Time):
· Develops the strategic vision and direction of the program(s) in line with the strategic direction of RTP.
· Develops and manages the portfolio of program activities of the country in line with RTP strategic country plans and region and global vision.
· Ensures accountability of RTP activities at all levels through efficient and transparent use of program resources.
· Develops concept papers and proposals as necessary for expansion of new and existing programs, taking into consideration local conditions, donor knowledge and existing talent.
· Provides leadership for the dissemination of RTP’s Values, Vision and Mission at the Country Level.
· Keeps abreast of the social-economic and political changes in the environment and undertakes timely strategic review of the RTP program strategy ensuring continued relevance within the area of focus.
· Maintains close communication with Regional Office in relevant factors and changes in environment.
· Coordinates the production of timely quality programme reports in line with the RTP and donor requirements.
Job Responsibility #4: Program Financial Management, Quality and Reporting (15%):
· Provides oversight to all finance and administrative services in the Program.
· Oversees the country annual budget and monitors and verifies the program budgets in adherence to approved budgets and procedures.
· Ensures adequate mechanisms are in place for monthly & quarterly budget monitoring and reviews and minimizes significant expenditure variances.
· Ensures monthly & quarterly financial monitoring systems provide timely and relevant reports to country staff, including analysis and tracking of grant commitments and obligations.
· Oversees the effective implementation and compliance with the overall Finance & guidance Manual and compliance with procedures required by grant or contract agreement.
· Ensures all program staff have an understanding of financial and internal control systems, budget and work in compliance with RTP Finance policies, authorization level policies, procedures.
· Oversees the collation and timely submission of key technical, baseline, project evaluation, donor and other monitoring and evaluation related reports to donors, Regional Office and HQ as required. Oversees annual and project-specific audit processes within the Programs.
· Ensures that learning is regularly generated within all projects, documented and shared.
· Ensures all monthly, quarterly finance reports are accurate and submitted to RO/HQ in timely manner.
Job Responsibility #5: Human Resources Management, Capacity Building and Compliance (15% of Time):
· Oversees overall country HR management processes providing advice on the management of all staff to ensure that it’s carried out within RTP stated policies, practices and procedures as well as the country employment laws. Ensures that staff hire aims to high quality standards in terms of competencies, experience and character in order to drive the organization to excellence.
· Provides advice on the interpretation of policies, regulations and rules and supports the senior team in explaining rights and responsibilities to the staff.
· Coordinates regular reviews and updates of the country specific HR policies and procedures and ensures compliance with the overall HR manual and the national labour laws.
· Oversees and monitors efficiency and fairness of recruitment processes following the set RTP guidelines in coordination with the Regional and HQ office.
· Ensures all employees receive the appropriate orientation and understand the RTP structure, policies, processes and systems and the work required from them.
· Oversees the mentoring and training of staff to ensure that they have the appropriate skill levels for their positions and are developing to their full capacity.
· Ensures adequate implementation of the Performance Management System including performance work planning, reviews, appraisals and staff development.
· Leads, coaches and develops the senior team, ensures they are equipped with the required expertise at country level such as programmes, policy, advocacy and finance.
· Oversees staff compensation in line with approved budget and RTP compensation policy and approves the monthly payroll.
· Ensures that the country Senior Management Team is effective, mutually supporting and efficiently involved in decision making.
· Manages the exit of employees and ensures that information gathered during exit interviews are used for improvement.
· Responds to legal claims or investigations, seeking legal advice as appropriate.
Job Responsibility #6: Security, safety and welfare (5% of Time):
· Carries out risk, vulnerability and threat assessments as well as physical security assessments of all sites making prioritized recommendations for improvement through the Standard Operational Procedures and contingency plans, and follows through with approved recommendations until they are fully implemented.
· Liaises with local and regional officials, UN, NGO and other agencies regarding security issues in the planning, coordination, promotion of, and support for existing RTP projects.
· Ensures that Child Safeguarding and gender are integrated into all program and organizational risk assessments and budget and quality mitigation strategies are put in place.
· Ensures that staff, coaches, leaders and volunteers are aware of the Child Safeguarding and Gender Polices, receive adequate training, sign the Attestation of Commitment to Child Safeguarding Form and RTP Code of Conduct, and act in compliance with this policy.
Job Responsibility #7: Performs Other Duties (5% of Time):
· Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (must have):
Master’s degree in Business Administration, Social Sciences, Development studies or other related discipline.
10 years’ experience in a leadership role within a large or international organization working on strategic planning, quality improvement, project planning and implementation, monitoring and evaluation, human resources and financial management.
· Proven knowledge of program management tools and procedures.
· Proven knowledge of budgetary control and financial management, including ability to read and understand financial data.
· Proven experience in proposal development and report writing.
· Demonstrated computer skills especially in MS Office packages.
· Understanding of country laws and regulations.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS (Asset to have):
· Strong understanding of financial analysis
· Sport and play industry experience
· Strategic planning skills
· Leadership, influencing and managerial skills
· Ability to gain trust and secure donor funding
· Excellent interpersonal communication skills to build rapport with staff, partners, government officials, donors and community leaders
· Creativity and problem solving skills
· Strong presentation skills
· Superior organizational skills and ability to multi-task
· Ability to work under pressure meeting deadlines
• Ability to travel in country and internationally.