Control & Instrumentation Technician at Newmont Goldcorp Corporation – Jobs in Ghana
Are you an employer looking to recruit qualified candidates? Post Premium Jobs Today.
We have the Largest Job Seeker Visits!! Find Out Here
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
To conduct safe troubleshooting, replacement, repair, testing and general maintenance of electrical and instrumentation production equipment and systems, according to electrical codes and specifications to optimise plant processing and production.
- Execute on electrical maintenance tasks for completion, arising out of schedules received from the C & I Supervisor.
- Conduct daily work planning around STP’s, JHA/FLRA
- Identify, resolve and correct detected C & I faults and defects in equipment.
- Troubleshoot technical and / or operational problems.
- Conduct in-depth investigations into faults affecting equipment operations and process flows.
- Diagnose and repair electrical power and control systems, AC V/S drives and associated electrical equipment.
- Perform routine maintenance on all electrical equipment, in line with approved maintenance standards.
- Perform a variety of other maintenance tasks, including predictive and preventative electrical and
- instrumentation maintenance.
- Perform installations, maintenance and repair activities, in accordance with OEM specifications.
- Read and utilise electrical schematics, wiring diagrams, single line diagrams and circuit diagrams.
- Utilise hand tools, portable electrical tools and maintenance shop equipment safely and effectively.
- Test repaired equipment to determine the extent of effective functioning, including but not limited to maintenance of MCC’s, motors and drives.
- Confirm that tag-outs / lock-outs are in place when disconnecting / connecting and removing electrical motors.
- Monitor substations in the plant and carry out any maintenance procedures.
- Attend to breakdowns and power outages.
- Maintain sufficient spare availability and stock levels.
- Contribute to the development of Standard Task Procedures (STP’s).
- Strive to reduce downtime and minimise costs.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Deliver own prescribed outcomes and / or provide support services, by applying Newmont’s Health, Safety and Environment systems, policies and protocols.
- Participate in regular (i.e. daily) safety leadership efforts.
- Assure that safety standards are adhered to.
- Eliminate any safety hazards caused by electrical defects.
- Contribute to and attend all safety meetings.
- Maintain records of maintenance and repair work.
- Compile reports on field observations and factor results into weekly / fortnightly planning.
- Examine all malfunctioned electronics and machines and diagnose whether to fix or replace.
- Analyse specified problems and issues to find the best technical solutions within OEM specifications and in accordance with local codes
- Provide a hands-on solution for electrical faults and defects to equipment and machinery
- Produce daily reports indicating the jobs completed for the day and submit the report to the C & I Supervisor.
Work Scheduling and Allocation
- Accomplish work objectives by determining own daily work and prioritisation schedule.
- Coordinate with support services and other Technicians, as necessary.
Training & Experience
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Diploma or relevant certification in Electrical Engineering.
- Electrical Trade Test Certificate.
- Strong knowledge of applicable electrical codes.
- Strong knowledge of process instrumentation.
- Sound knowledge of electrical maintenance principles and industry standards.
- Knowledge of the work management process.
- Knowledge of planning and scheduling.
- Minimum of 3 years electrical maintenance experience in a mining plant / process environment.
- Wide ranging experience across various voltage electrical works – extra-low, low and high.
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Sound communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Sound computer literacy skills (SAP, MS Word, Outlook and other Windows applications).
- Ability to identify problems and to report by using technical names of equipment parts.
- Ability to develop / maintain electrical distribution, generation and transmission systems and networks.
- Ability to correctly read power meters and record the readings accurately.
- Ability to manage the quality of operations, in accordance with the quality standards of the organisation and international best practice.
- Ability to work with the following:
- Electrical Distribution Systems
- Electrical Motors
- Distributed Control and PLCSystems
- Transducers and Transmitters
- Digital and Analog Field Components
- Hydraulic and Pneumatic Systems