Community Health Nurses – Preventive x10 at JSI Research & Training Institute – Jobs in Ghana
JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI), a leader in global health, is a non-profit public health management consulting and research organisation dedicated to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world.
JSI is implementing the recently extended USAID Strengthening the Care Continuum Project in Ghana. The goal of this extension is to allow Care Continuum to expand existing support to the Government of Ghana (GOG) and to accelerate Ghana’s progress in attaining the 90-90-90 UNAIDS goal by achieving epidemic control in one high HIV disease burdened region by scaling up evidence-based interventions. Activities will include active case finding of persons living with HIV (PLHIV) in the Western Region (WR), putting and retaining them on treatment, and ensuring they are virally suppressed. The activity will be funded by USAID through the LISA President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through September 2020.
Position Description: Community Health Nurses – Preventive
• This is a full-time position that will be based in districts of the Western Region. Ghana. The role of the Community Health Nurses-Preventive (CHN-P) will be to act as liaisons /focal points in providing quality and comprehensive HIV services for PI-HIVs (including Key Populations-KPs) by working directly with defined communities, local non-governmental organisations (NGOs) or Civil Society Organisations. They will actively seek HIV/AIDS cases, and successfully refer and
ensure their linkage to facility-based care and treatment services.
• The main objective of the CHN-P is to organise and provide community health nursing services to meet the health needs Of a defined catchment population.
• The successful applicants will be deployed in the various districts (Ahanta West, Ellernbele, Jomoro, Nzema East, Prestea- Huni Valley, Kwesimintim, Sekondi Takoradi Metro, Shama, Tarkwa-Nsueam Municipal, Wassa Amenfi East and Wassa Amenfi West) of the Western Region. Candidates resident in the designated districts will have an advantage.
No. of Positions: Ten (10)
Reporting Relationship: The Community Health Nurse — (Preventive) reports to the Senior Programme Specialist on the project, and who will be based in Takoradi.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Collaborate With CSO partners in the district, and with health facilities to provide quality and comprehensive care for all PLHIV in the assigned district
• Develop caseload / catchment area population profile, and identify, prioritize and implement programmes of care With relevant stakeholders
• With support of CSO partners. assess. plan, implement and evaluate programmes of care with and for clients in the assigned community
• Collaborate with partners and specifically assist in ensuring continuity of care by tracing defaulters and making follow-up visits to clients with HIV/AIDS. the aged, low birth weight babies. and advtS1ng them accordingly on best behaviours and practices for sustained good health.
• Collaborate with health facility teams to run family planning, post-natal and child welfare clinics in communities.
• Support the DHMT to undertake immunization programmes according to national protocols to ensure maximum possible protection against diseases such as diphtheria, measles, poliomyelitis, tetanus, tuberculosis and yellow fever.
• Liaise with other agencies such as Social Welfare to assist patients/clients in need of Social and other psychosocial support.
• Organise scheduled systematic community mobilization as well as active case finding in the catchment area, and support CSOs to do targeted, and index testing.
• Ensure all equipment used in the community, (syringes, needles etc.) are returned to health facilities and destroyed according to the GHS infection control policy and guidelines.
• Discuss treatment /management of condition with patient and relatives where applicable and encourage them to ask questions. Maintain effective communication with colleagues, patients, and partners.
• Participate in weekly review meetings and submit all activity reports on time.
• Any other duty assigned by the Senior Programmes Specialist.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Community Health Nurse Certificate (Preventive). Knowledge of Ghana Health Service HIV AIDS activities will be an advantage.
• Knowledge and understanding of quality assurance issues
• Excellent written and communication skills
• Good Inter-personal skills
• Ability to initiate and maintain clear, concise documentation
• Ability to work under pressure
• Western Region language abilities and cultural awareness will be useful
• Computer literate (Word, excel, powerpoint)
• The post holder must at all times:
• Work in accordance with the GHS/NMC Code of Professional Conduct and Disciplinary Procedure.
• Strictly adhere to the provisions of the Patient’s Charter.
Location: Western Region