Communication Consultant – Media and External Relations Specialist at FAO – Jobs in Ghana
Are you an employer looking to recruit qualified candidates? Post Premium Jobs Today.
We have the Largest Job Seeker Visits!! Find Out Here
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger. FAO’s goal is to achieve food security for all and make sure that people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives. The Regional Office for Africa oversees 47 sub-Saharan countries guided by Regional Initiatives that serve as a mechanism to ensure effective delivery and to demonstrate impact of FAO’s work on the key priorities of the Region. All these initiatives focus on the achievement of the FAO’s Strategic Objectives as well as regional priorities and commitments, such as the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) and the Malabo declaration.
Communications is at the heart of FAO’s mission to help build consensus for a world without hunger. The effectiveness and credibility of the Organization as a policy-making forum and unique multilingual centre of excellence, knowledge and technical expertise depends to a considerable degree on its ability to communicate its work to harness efforts to eradicate hunger.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Communication Officer, and in consultation with the Office of Corporate Communications, the consultant will provide communication support to FAO Regional Office for Africa (RAF).
The assignment will focus on ensuring coherence with FAO’s corporate communication policy and operational guidelines for all communication and information outputs.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Communication Consultant – Media and External Relations Specialist will:
- Coordinate overall planning, formulation, execution and monitoring of media and external relations strategies and plans aimed at continuously enhancing and maintaining the image of the organization at country, regional and global levels.
- Manage and coordinate with Anglophone and Francophone media and engage and mobilize communication counterparts of existing and potential partners of FAO to further strengthen capacity to carry out organization’s mandate.
- Develop a systematic and innovative strategic plan of media and external relations to support the regional direction and priorities of FAO. Develop and gain agreement on a plan of activities.
- Develop and maintain a media and external relations contact database.
- Develop press releases to provide good visibility for the organization’s programmes and projects in the region.
- Coordinate media relations within the region by working with media networks in covering activities, programmes and events organized by FAO and RAF. Manage media relations by maintaining connection and rapport with media partners.
- Collate, write and edit English and French content for RAF publications and edit and review stories/articles from sub-regional offices and countries.
- Provide communication guidance and advice to new communication officers in RAF and sub-regional offices
- Support sub-regional offices and Communication Networks on media relations and engagement
- Plan production of short video documentaries such as drafting TOR’s for short contract, coordinate production, write script, picture selection, conduct interviews, and ensure timely delivery of products.
- Arrange media placements such as placing technical officers on local TV for discussions on topical issues and other special events
- Research, plan, coordinate and conduct interviews for senior officials of FAO.
- Monitor media activities involving FAO, media mentions clippings, etc.
- Ensure that FAO’s priorities addressed are in relation to changes in the UN system as a whole, by taking a proactive role in reviewing and commenting on new developments.
- Develop social media content and use digital channels to strengthen scope of reach.
- Carry out any other tasks upon request by supervisor
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree (for Consultants) / University degree (only for PSA) in Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, Mass Media, Political or Social Sciences, International Relations or other related fields
- Minimum 8 years of experience as press officer in UN agencies, NGOs, etc. with good contacts with the media, and worked in a multi-cultural, multi-national context
- Excellent Knowledge of English and limited knowledge of French for Consultants. Working knowledge of English is sufficient for PSA; knowledge of French would be an asset.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in communication and outreach in international and field positions preferably in the UN system or similar context
- Relevance of experience in strategic communication, media outreach, publications, digital communication, campaigns, etc.
- Proven experience in writing (candidates will be required to send samples of work and undergo an assessment)
- Knowledge in resilience, climate change and related area of work
- Experience in organizing international meetings, campaigns, high-level conferences, etc.
- Technical knowledge on digital communications such as social media and other channels; publications with knowledge in working on applications and desktop publishing tools; ability to undergo photography and videography activities, i.e. documentaries, photo essays, etc.
- Knowledgeable in media relations and have established networks with media partners
- Ability to strategize and mobilize resources
- Experience in editing written materials for general public (newspapers/magazines) in English and French
- Experience in promoting public awareness on humanitarian issues
- Experience in public speaking
- Background in working in a developing country (other than own) showing ability to adjust to diverse environments