AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently near completion of the redevelopment phase to become a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as
Job Title: Environment Officer – EMS.
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
This role is accountable for the implementation of Environmental Management System’s processes, plans and procedures to maintain the environmental legal and social license to operate Obuasi Mine.
The Environmental Officer will be required to assist with EMS administration, incident reporting, corrective action follow up, environmental inspections / audits and advisory functions to all employees where relevant at Obuasi Mine.
The role is diverse in its application and the skills required are varied from a science perspective and will include water, chemicals and waste management, air and soil quality, bio-diversity and protection of species as well as rehabilitation and land management.
- Implement relevant environmental management programmes as directed by senior management
- Maintain knowledge of local environmental issues as well as focusing on environmental monitoring and compliance
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders to enable the business to meet its legislative and internal requirements
- Assist in planning for the required environmental inspections and audits
- Undertake inspections of mining, processing and waste disposal activities across the mine to ensure compliance with legislation and AGA environmental management standards
- Conduct sampling of water, dust, soils, etc. as required
- Report of environmental monitoring results in a professional manner
- Assist with the management of environmental rehabilitation projects and contractor management as required by senior management
- Review and update ISO 14001 procedures and policies as and when necessary
- Assist with ISO 14001 system and process audits
- Implement the incident management procedures including emergency response, reporting, clean up and rehabilitation
- Take part in environmental incident investigations
- Implement recommended incident mitigation and preventative action plans
- Implement and maintaining environmental education awareness programmes
- Provide environmental inductions and awareness training to employees, visitors and contractors
- Conduct in-house environmental impact assessments
- Provide expertise and guidance regarding environmental permit requirements for contractors
- Manage the internal environmental permitting processes
QUALIFICATION, EXPERIENCE AND TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES
- Tertiary qualification in the field of Environmental Management or a relevant Natural Science qualification
- Valid driver’s license
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in the field of environmental management in a mining environment
- Working knowledge of ISO 14001 requirements
- Experience with waste and water management practices or with rehabilitation and natural resource conservation
- Good verbal and written communication in English
- Able to effectively analyze and interpret information, plan, coordinate and prioritize tasks
- Sound technical knowledge of risk assessment and evaluation, environmental management tools, programmes and systems
- Effective interaction with mine employees, government and municipal officials, contractors and others
- Use of Geographic Information System (GIS) software
- Advanced computer literacy is essential