AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently in a redevelopment phase which will lead to a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join our dedicated team as
Job Title: Safety Officer – Underground.
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
The purpose of this role is to provide professional advice, support and oversight compliance in terms of occupational health and safety in the underground environment. It further seeks to augment the labour strength of the safety department across the operations.
The new Safety Officer – Underground will be resourced to manage occupational health and safety issues in the underground environment. The designated will cover all underground mining operations.
- Support and maintain section health and safety management system through OSHAS18001 or ISO45001 SMS requirements.
- Conduct workplace OHS inspections at designated section at regular intervals and produce inspections reports with associated timelines
- Manage risk assessments at section according to Obuasi Mine Hazard and Identification Risk Assessment and Control Procedure
- Report to accident/incident scene and produce draft incident notifications.
- Facilitate section incident investigations and produce timely investigation reports.
- Upload recommendations from incident investigations into the Workforce Management Reporting System (WMRS) for tracking purposes.
- Follow through recommendations and upload evidence of completion into the WMRS.
- Facilitate safety related training and inductions at section and retain associated records
- Align with designated contractors to ensure AGAG OHS required audits are completed and reports shared
- Audit contractors as per AGAG OHS requirements and produce timely audit report of recommendations
- Support the Emergency Management Services (EMS) team develop mock scenarios to measure the emergency preparedness response of designated section
- Produce debriefing reports to identify non-conformances and opportunities for improvement for tracking
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Certificate of Competency – Ghana Minerals Commission
- Certificate of Health & Safety – NEBSOH IGC / CSP
- Must have a BSc. Degree in Engineering / Physical Science or HSE or a similar qualification from a recognized institution.
- Must possess a Ghanaian driver’s license and be able to drive in the underground environment
Has a minimum of 3 years’ experience within an underground mining environment and can demonstrate supervisory skills as well as understanding of hazard identification and controls, and Risk Management.
- Audit and Inspection – Has completed an external safety or lead audit course. Has participated in audits at other sites as a team member and can develop workplace inspection systems.
- Incident investigation – Has successfully completed IIP training course and can apply this knowledge to lead investigations for moderate or high events and can participate as a team member in major and extreme events.
- Data and Information management – Understands basic lead and lag safety data and can manipulate this data to develop short term safety improvement plans. Able to develop work plans for teams to meet predetermined objectives
- Must have good planning, integration and resource management skills