AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Limited, Obuasi Gold Mine is currently in a redevelopment phase which will lead to a modern, efficient and long-term profitable operation. The underground mining operation has been fully mechanized and designed to produce up to an average maximum of 5,000 t/day of ore mined.
We are seeking experienced and self-motivated person to join our team as
Job Title: Cost Accountant
ROLE PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
The purpose of the Cost Accountant role is to provide direct support to the Management Accountant for the Obuasi Mine operations, to help coordinate the preparation of departmental budgets and ensure timely reporting of departmental cost and performance reports.
The role also entails working closely with the Support Services (G&A) departmental heads to ensure timely and proactive flagging of any cost anomalies and deviations for corrective immediate action.
- Coordinate the preparation of the Annual Operating Cost and Capital Expenditure budgets for the support services areas.
- Set up system to track:
- Cost of materials from stores, direct materials and petty cash purchases.
- Cost of labour
- Other costs
- Prepare Cost Report for the departmental Managers.
- Design and implement standardized cost reporting templates where possible
- Exercise over-all cost control in the Manager’s area.
- Prepare Variance Analysis report on cost performance for the departmental Managers and the Sectional heads.
- Draw the area Manager’s attention to anomalies.
- Draw the area Manager’s attention to problem areas.
- Make projections for the operations Managers where over-runs are expected, and the effect of this on profitability.
- Monitor Direct Material indents (DMI). This involves checking whether budget exists, and if no budgets exist, whether the item should be procured all the same. If ordered against no budget, this should be included in the projections. Timing for the direct materials is very important. Items ordered in the year could come in the following year.
- Reconcile all Provision and accrual Accounts.
- Look at ways to improve the overall support services department budgeting process
- Ad-hoc duties to be assigned by the Management Accountant. i.e. finalise the set up and populating of the journal; capture journal for FM approval
- Compile departmental budgets to one detail cost budget for the entire mine site (Obuasi Mine)
- Prepare analysis to management for more understanding of business plan and LOM
- Review the budget files from HODs and communicate to them if there are any issues
- Update the escalations and other assumptions from CAR Finance
- Participate in the TM1 and other training
- Participate in the discussion with the TM1 team in any matter arising
- Review the completeness and validity of the material valuation class mapping in SAP
- Provide answers or comments to support the Monthly HFM pack notes
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A degree in Accounting, HND (Accounting option) or ICAG Part 2 qualification
- At least 3 – 5 years’ experience in a mining environment.
- Must be computer literate with significant proficiency in Spreadsheets
- Experience and understanding of total mining cycle
- Strong analytic and problem-solving skills
- Broad business exposure
- Cost management
- Performance Management
- Team management
- Building Effective Working Relationships – The ability to build and maintain effective collateral and cross functional working relationship
- Building Trust & Accountability – Displaying high levels of integrity and honesty