Newmont Akyem Development Foundation (NAkDeF) is a company, limited by guarantee, set up by Newmont and Akyem mine communities to establish and manage sustainable social investment projects and activities together with GIZ (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit). GIZ is a provider of international cooperation services for sustainable development and education dedicated to building a future worth living around the world. NAKDeF together with GIZ are promoting the establishment of Akyem Vocational and Technical Institute (AVTI). The AVTI is under the NAkDeF/GIZ partnership programme called Akyem Skills, Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development (A-SEED). The main objective of AVTI is to equip the youth with employable skills for their livelihoods. The Institute aims at improving the employable skills of the youth through Technical and Vocational Education Training (TVET).
Job Title: Instructors x3
Work Location: Akyem Amanfrom
Reports to: AVTI Principal/Center Manager
Planning, organising and managing all resources and activities at the Institute. Ensuring healthy progress of the Institute’s Units and maintaining a strong linkage with NAkDeF/GIZ/NVTI/COTVET and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. District Assembly, Traditional Authority).
The Instructor will primarily be tasked with the overall delivery of course models and content to trainees of the Institute in accordance with the prescriptions of the national TVET bodies like COTVET and NVTI to ensure that the institute grows to become a preferred choice when it comes to vocational education and training. The Instructors will ensure continuous review of the curricula in line with national standards and recommend new courses based on scientific research. The Instructors will also make the conscious effort to link industry requirement/practice in the training to ensure that the trainees acquire respective industries experience and employment skills upon completion.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, organizes and teaches trainees in English language
- Prepares expanded scheme of work and teaches trainees lessons prepared
- Conducts practical and oral test for trainees at the end of every module taught
- Supervise trainees’ projects and assignments
- Completes the attendance register daily and appropriately
- Maintains up-to-date Continues Assessment Register/Book
- Undertakes any other duties that may be assigned
Qualifications for the 3 areas of specialization;
- Welding Instructor – Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech – Mechanical option) or HND Mechanical Engineering (Welding option) or National Craftman Certificate or Advance Craft Certificate. Must have NVTI Certificate 2 in Welding.
- General Electrical Instructor – Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech – Electrical) or HND Electrical Electronics or EET Part 3. Must have NVTI Certificate 2 in General Electrical Installations.
- Plumbing Instructor – Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech – Civil Engineering Fluid option) or Advance Craft Certificate in Plumbing. Must have NVTI Certificate 2 in Plumbing.
- Must have at least 5 years of professional working experience in a similar role with a strong practical experience
- Must be able to develop course content and deliver same to trainees
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills with ability to work in a smaller community and semi urban environment
- Must have experience in building networks among different partners and organizations
- Must be a motivated team player with an ability to do independent work, must be organised systematic, proactive, detailed and goal-oriented
- Must be able to grasp complex issues
- Excellent knowledge in ICT (related software, phone, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Excellent knowledge in the TVET sector
- Fluent in the English language as well as any Akan language
How To Apply
Interested and qualified persons should submit their application letters, certificates and CVs to the address below:
The Executive Secretary
Newmont Akyem Development Foundation
P. O. Box NH 33, New Abirem
Email: [email protected]
Hand delivered to the Newmont Information Offices in the Newmont Akyem Project Area.