African Forum for Research and Education in Health Ghana Jobs 2019
The African Forum for Research and Education in Health (AFREhealth) is an interdisciplinary health professions organization that works with educational institutions, Ministries of Health, and other stakeholders to improve the quality of health care in Africa through research, education and capacity building with a focus on health workforce development and interprofessional collaboration. It is a conglomerate of individuals, institutions, associations and networks from all the geographic and linguistic regions of Africa namely Anglophone, Francophone, Lusophone and Arabophone. Membership is open to African and international institutions and individuals committed to an Africa with strong, self-sustaining and robust health systems
Job Title: Executive Director
To be a responsive and leading African forum in the pursuit of excellence in health research, education and service provision.
To provide African leadership for responsive health professions education, training, research and service delivery through: (a) Partnership/Collaboration, (b) Networking, (c) Advocacy, (d) Resource mobilization, (e) Strategic communication, (f) Sharing best practices, (g) Capacity building, and (h) Transformation of responsive health professions education, research and healthcare delivery.
AFREhealth is very much a startup and will need entrepreneurial people excited about the mission.
AFREhealth seeks to appoint a dynamic Executive Director (ED) who will serve as the organization’s executive and administrative lead, facilitating the attainment of the organization’s vision and mission through his/her active role in representing and advocating for the interests of AFREhealth.
The ED will lead the AFREhealth Secretariat from Kumasi, Ghana. The incumbent is a recognized leader in healthcare education and/or research in Africa who is committed to AFREhealth’s vision. The ED will work closely with the AFREhealth’s leadership, the Executive Committee and the Governing Council, in setting and accomplishing the annual work plan goals and objectives, which include the areas of Governance, Operations and Management, and Strategic communications and Development. These may include, but are not limited to strategic planning, membership services, communications strategies, new business development, and programme design and implementation. The ED will consolidate the organizational start-up and Secretariat functioning to serve as a dynamic point of contact for donors, stakeholders and international and local partners.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Programmatic and Operational Leadership
- Provide leadership and direction to ensure programmatic and financial integrity of AFREhealth’s efforts, inclusive of in-country requirements
- Develop and revise, or update as needed, operational strategies, policies, and procedures
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with donors and potential donors, MOH, national and international implementing partners, and others who can help in AFREhealth’s efforts to strengthen health workforce development
- Accountable for program implementation timelines as assigned by the Executive Committee
- Ensure that all operational activities are in line with country regulations and priorities, and include substantial engagement of national partners
- Engage regularly with the Executive Committee on issues that could impact office and program operations
Financial and Management Compliance
- Oversee the preparation and implementation of the annual budget
- Cultivate of a broad base of public and private grants, contracts, and donations that supplement the revenue from annual membership dues.
- Understand and advise on contractual administration, negotiation, processes and procedures
- Ensure preparations and timely submission of all programmatic and financial reports
- Ensure that audits are conducted and findings are corrected in a timely manner
- Ensure the program is functioning within available resources and that the program is fiscally sound
- Ensure compliance with in-country laws, organizational policies and donor rules and regulations as well as all contractual requirements.
- Provide guidance, and take overall responsibility for ensuring accountability of partners, subcontractors and sub-grantees
Human Resource Management
- Mentor, support, supervise and manage the AFREhealth staff of highly qualified staff and consultants to align their efforts for rapid and sustainable results
- Conduct annual staff performance assessment and support professional development for staff
- Align team members’ efforts to ensure responsive and sustainable Secretariat
Strategic Communications and Development
- Represent AFREhealth and its members as the spokesperson and advocate for its vision and goals to potential funders including government, foundations, individual philanthropists, and potentially the private sector
- Liaise with federal and international agencies, donors, grantors, and other organizations on current and future awards
- Pursue collaborative programs, activities, and initiatives in support of global health, in general, and specifically to promote AFREhealth’s goals
- Oversee the coordination of annual scientific and business meetings inclusive of Governing Council and AFREhealth membership Annual General Meeting
- Oversee the development and management of extramurally funded small grants, fellowships and internship programs
- Drive the management of a full program of membership services, including support for interest groups and planning and marketing of shared operational support
- Lead the management and coordination of teaching and learning support resources and web portal for education and training
- Oversee the management of website and social media communication platforms
Required Skills or Experience
- Postgraduate degree (Masters level or higher) in any health field, and/or public health, and/or health administration, public administration, business administration or related degrees. A Doctoral degree would be an advantage
- Recognized experience in the African healthcare context of more than ten years
- Demonstrated ability to manage donor funded public health projects and budgets, including understanding of donor regulations and requirements
- Previous experience working with United States Government (USG), PEPFAR and other donors, and familiarity with USAID, CDC, and other donor regulations and compliance
- Experience in fundraising for, developing, and implementing successful, replicable and sustainable projects in Africa
- Proven leadership experience in leading highly skilled teams and in strategic program planning, implementation and management
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively orally and in writing, including good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a complex environment charged with multiple tasks, short deadlines and pressure to perform
- A team player accustomed to building team capacity and delegating working teams
- Ability to travel as required
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Language abilities in French or Portuguese would be an advantage
- Experience in managing resources for members of a professional society
- Ability to build collaboration among stakeholders
- Familiar with the organization and function of healthcare training and/or research institutions
- Technical expertise in healthcare training, and/or research or a major public health area with implementation experience
How to Apply
Qualified persons are required to send their Curriculum Vitae (CV) and application letter to:[email protected]
- Deadline for the submission of applications: August 30, 2019.
- Please note that given the likely high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NOTE: All staff members of AFREhealth, regardless of the level of their responsibilities are expected to:
- Model the mission and values stated above
- participate in the business development processes
- contribute to the knowledge sharing and transfer process
- make responsible decisions that result in time and cost containment and clear accountability
- participate in multiple teams, adopt team spirit, take responsibility for action items assigned and provide feedback as neededmultitask, be able to manage competing priorities and be able to prioritize in order to meet program and/or organizational objectives