Advisor, REDD+ Safeguard at SNV Netherlands Development Organisation – Jobs in Ghana
Are you an employer looking to recruit qualified candidates? Post Premium Jobs Today.
We have the Largest Job Seeker Visits!! Find Out Here
SNV Netherlands Development is a not-for-profit international development organization that has built a long-term local presence in 38 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin-America. SNV Ghana implements projects to improve individual lives and contributes to solving global challenges in the areas of Agriculture, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. SNV’s implementation approach focuses on developing innovative solutions to alleviate poverty through sustainable and locally-led development.
SNV is implementing a multi-country project entitled ‘Operationalising National Safeguard Requirements for Results-based Payments from REDD+’ (REDD+ safeguards project), with funding support from the German Federal Ministry of Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMUB). The first phase of the project supported Ghana and Vietnam towards finalising their Country-Led Safeguard Approach (CSA) and designing their Safeguards Information System (SIS) as well as upgrading their web-based safeguards information systems. The two countries have also successfully submitted their summary of information to United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
The main focus of the second phase of the Safeguards project (2019-2020) is to actually pilot the operationalization of the country safeguards frameworks and SIS, particularly at sub-national levels in the field as a logical next step to demonstrate how safeguards are applied in the context of REDD+ on the ground and relevant information thereon can be collected and for reporting to the SIS. In addition, Introducing subnational Low-Emissions Development Plans (LEDPs) will be completed and a framework for participatory forest monitoring that feeds into a national forest monitoring system will be developed and piloted in the context of REDD+ safeguards.
Overall responsibility of coordinating the safeguards project activities in partnership with key stakeholders in order to deliver up to the required quality standard piloting of REDD+ safeguards data collection, analysis and reporting; finalising LEDPs for Juabeso-Bia Hot Spot Intervention Area (HIA) introduction of participatory land use planning, low emissions development/land use planning; and participatory forest monitoring at sub national levels;
- Provide day-to-day technical assistance to partners at all levels (e.g. Forestry Commission, relevant CSOs, District Assemblies and private sector organisations etc.,) to implement activities and deliver outputs;
- Assist in developing protocols for field data collection, accessing secondary data from relevant institutions, collating, analysing and reporting in close partnership with relevant project partners;
- Provide technical input in developing and introducing HIA management plans and Participatory Forest Monitoring;
- Provide support in organising and facilitating meetings/workshops/trainings and other capacity building activities;
- Contribute to preparation of lessons learnt on project implementation, integration of lessons with other strategic areas of SNV and opportunities to further develop REDD+ and agriculture programmes in Ghana.
- Work closely with the Project Manager to establish relevant partnerships and networks towards resource mobilisation;
- Proactively support the development and implementation of fund raising and resource mobilisation strategies using integrated sector approach;
Monitoring, Evaluation and progress reporting:
- Monitor activity implementation progress and quality of fieldwork implemented by consultant service providers;
- Assist in preparing and updating regularly, work plans and reports, news articles, and other knowledge products of the project to keep project partners informed about project progress;
- Other tasks related to project management and implementation as may be required by the project manager.
- Support with the coordination with key project partners develop detailed activity plans and budget, prepare paperwork and liaise with relevant project partners and stakeholders;
- Make logistical arrangements and coordinate all resources for activities such as meetings, trainings, workshops, consultants, field surveys, etc.;
- Assist in managing all local project contracts, consultants and other local suppliers of good and services;
- Support the Project to maintain hard and soft copy filing systems of project documents and contracts;
Applicant must have relevant knowledge in Social safeguard, and understand the dynamics of rural development projects implemented by national/international NGOs. He/she must have strong communication and networking skills.
- Master’s Degree in Environmental/Development Studies, Forestry, Social Sciences or related disciplines;
- Minimum of three years relevant experience in similar roles;
- Basic understanding of REDD+ would be advantageous;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills in English
- Strong commitment to assigned tasks, sense of responsibility and ability to work independently with minimum supervision;
- Computer proficiency in MS-applications (Word, Excel, Internet, Email);
- Excellent skills in planning, reporting and presentation.