The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Job Title: Combatting Wildlife Trafficking Manager
Abt Associates is seeking a qualified Combatting Wildlife Trafficking Manager to support the anticipated USAID West Africa Biodiversity and Low Emission Development Activity (WABiLED). This position located in Accra, Ghana, will provide overall strategic direction, technical leadership, and implementation for the task order under the STARR II IDIQ. The Combatting Wildlife Trafficking Manager will support the Chief of Party (COP) in management of the Combatting Wildlife Trafficking Team and all research, design, implementation, and monitoring activities and cross-cutting tasks related to that objective. The Manager will provide thought leadership, technical guidance and expertise, and lead implementation activities for interactions between the team and local governments.
The position will lead efforts to combat wildlife trafficking in the West Africa (Cote d’Ivoire, Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone) region and improve governance and policy in critical natural and human systems related to wildlife crimes and transnational organized crime. By working through regional partners, and with targeted national and sub-national institutions, this position will lead to increased capacity of institutions at all levels to reduce wildlife trafficking and strengthen management of conservation areas in biodiverse landscapes.
This position is contingent upon award.
Key Roles And Responsibilities
- Providing technical leadership in the development of analysis and the evidence base that can help USAID clients and governments in:
- The design of wildlife crime, trafficking, combatting conservation crimes, and natural resource management programs.
- The integration of wildlife and natural resource management dimensions into other sectors, such as governance, policy development, infrastructure development, etc.
- Leading engagement, technical discussions, and the development of innovative approaches with the client and other stakeholders on activities focusing on wildlife crime and conservation
- Providing subject matter expertise to support the development of technical strategies, implementation plans, MEL, communication, and knowledge management activities
- Overseeing the work of team members, consultants and sub-contractors working on combatting wildlife trafficking to ensure achievement work plan objectives and targets, and timely/effective implementation
- Graduate Degree (minimum) in environmental and natural resource management, biodiversity and conservation, biology, environmental sciences, forestry, or another relevant field
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience in environmental and natural resource management, biodiversity and conservation, biology, environmental sciences, forestry, or another relevant field
- Ability to resolve sensitive and complicated work issues with senior high-level country counterparts, donor representative and senior-level staff
- Sound understanding of USAID’s policies, requirements and existing tools to support combatting wildlife trafficking and conservation crimes
- Proven experience working across sectors and leading inter-disciplinary teams
- Demonstrated team player with effective cross-cultural interpersonal skills; able to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and lead multidisciplinary teams
- Should demonstrate excellent interpersonal, managerial, organizational, oral and written communication skills, and proven leadership abilities within a multi-partner initiative.
- Demonstrated experience interacting with government agencies, civil society counterparts, and international donor agencies; USAID experience preferred
- Fluency in English and language skills in French are highly desirable
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.