Ranked by Washington Technology as a top 100 leader in IT services, Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. If you want to apply your technical expertise to programs that help control infectious diseases, address housing and homelessness issues, and inform policies that create economic opportunities in the U.S. and abroad, we invite you to join our team. Our IT team of over 60 professionals collaborates across 45 offices. As a member of our team, you will be on the front line supporting users around the world. Clients have come to rely on Abt to provide innovative solutions with energy, creativity, and top-notch customer service. Our company culture of continuous learning supports opportunities for long-term career growth and a balanced work/life experience.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, this position will be based as a telecommuter for the foreseeable future. Only when Abt reopens offices to all employees will there be an expectation that new hires return to the geographical office to which they were hired.
Job Title: Senior Systems Administrator
The incumbent is responsible for the day-to-day operation and/or the escalation of our international computing environment. This includes identifying and resolving system issues, monitoring performance, researching, installing and testing new releases and patches, and working closely with local IT managers, project leads, and other Sr. IT staff for issue escalation and resolutions.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide Tier-2 technical support for both hardware and software issues our users encounter
- Monitor the infrastructure daily and respond immediately to security or usability concerns
- On-site infrastructure setup for International Project Startups
- Verify successful backups of data
- Upgrade systems and processes as required for enhanced functionality and security issue resolution
- Administrate infrastructure, including server firewalls, databases, malware protection software and other processes
- Review application logs and polling reports regularly
- Install and test computer-related equipment
- Ensure that all assigned service requests, system development projects and problem reports assigned are properly completed, on schedule, by performing accurate project planning and time estimates, accurate analysis, effective design, sound programming, complete testing, and clear documentation.
- Maintain security controls and monitoring of systems including patching, software updates and other system threats.
- Establish and write detailed documentation including process, procedures, disaster recovery and SLA thresholds in accordance with business requirements.
- Extensive experience with Microsoft operating systems and management tools
- Working knowledge of security best practices
- Demonstrated experience with Windows and Linux system administration in cloud-based environments
- Understanding of the Amazon Web Services (AWS) environment
- Self-motivated and able to work independently in a fast paced, deadline driven environment
- Experience with configuration management tools
- Understanding of GovCloud /FedRamp security requirements
- Fundamental knowledge of Networking, Operating Systems, Package Build System, Database Servers, Firewalls, System Imaging and Data Backup Software.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications.
- Strong communication skills, particularly in translating perceived needs into technical requirements
- Strong documentation skills
- BA/BS with (3+) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree and 4-6 years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.
Closing Date : 12 July, 2020